Community Council – 19th February 2018

DRAFT MINUTES of meeting Kirkcowan Community Council held on Monday 19th February 2018 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan‘s Hall

19th February 2018

Present: Mr J Paterson, Mr J Adair, Mrs W Baird, Mrs J Mortiboy, Cllr J McColm, Mr D Conduit,
Ms S Gray, Mrs W Wood, Mr R Drysdale, Mr P McAllister, Mr M Gumersell, Mr A Gladstone,
Miss C Wilson, Mr G Mortiboy, Mrs H McWhirter, Mr M Marsh, Mrs H Marsh, Mr N Ward, Mrs J
Ward, Mr McDonald.

1. Mr Paterson welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES: Mrs A Dabner, Mr K Tinker, Mr D McKenzie, Mr D Harper, Mrs J Sommerville

Accepted as a true and correct record ‐ Proposed ‐ Mr M Gumersell Seconded – Mrs W Baird.

4. POLICE MATTERS: No police present.

5. TREASURERS REPORT: Account No 1 ‐ £ 471.48 Account No 2 ‐ £ 15,284.48

• Galloway Hills Medical Group – letter sent to all regarding changes of surgery times come into force 26th March 18. Letter also sent to KCC. JP and PMcA attended Participation Group
Meeting, PMcA was disappointed that there had been no consultation with community, he
was told to stop being obstructive and to embrace the proposal and be happy that we still
have a surgery 3 mornings a week in the village. Group has now disbanded. WB stated it is
very important that we use the prescriptions service. WB to send reply stating Kirkcowan
patients will get priority on appointments, should staffing levels improve that go back to
having surgery open 5 mornings as week. ACTION WB
• Sournia Twinning – Deputy mayor visiting Kirkcowan on 2nd and 3rd April 18. If anyone got
any ideas of places around village of interest please contact Mr and Mrs Ward.
• VETS – Village Emergency telephone System – Require names and contact numbers to go on a list for when/if defibrillator is used. SG stated PO number can go on list. WB to put poster up
• Dual the A75 Group – Letter received inviting KCC to give support/backing on aims to upgrade the A75. All agreed WB to reply in writing ‐ ACTION WB
• Annual Police Plan 2018/2019 Citizen Space Survey‐police‐plan/
• Scheme for the Establishment of Community Council‐of‐Scheme‐for‐the‐Establishment‐of‐
• Dumfries & Galloway Council Local Development Plan
• Scottish Fire & Rescue Community Asset Register‐campaigns/news/2017/10/sfrs‐launches‐community‐as

Potholes – Potholes being repaired with emergency filled practice which lasts about 3 to 4 weeks.
RD queried why not fill in correctly in first place to prevent re‐filling and what’s the difference in
cost? CllrMcC stated there is a 30 year backlog in making good the state of the roads in D&G.
CllrMcC to find out where machine is that can repair potholes. ACTION CLLR McCOLM
Business Stream – KCC has received a water rates bill for Ballgreen that requires immediate payment.
WB has been trying to sort out as Ballgreen is all boarded up – suggested the cut supply off. MM suggested WB contacted Water Regulator to get some advice. ACTION WB
Lights in Park – JP reported several times that lights on all the time in park and Newton Stewart Road. Cllr McC to inform DGC lighting department again. ACTION CLLR McCOLM
Community Benefit Fund – Aries money not through yet anticipated to get in April, reduced from initial amount. Money received from Kilgallioch.
68 people attended Kilgallioch wider fund meeting – have a shortlist of 14 to choose 4 directors.
Speed Signs – DGC Roads department are supposed to be installing speed sign in Newton Stewart Road. KCC wish to purchase 2 for B733 heading out of village to Wigtown and as you come into the village near the school.
Bins – PMcA queried why DGC have removed bins from laybys – Cllr McC informed the meeting this was a cost saving exercise as rubbish is left stacked around bins, which means more emptying. Removing them is hopefully going to encourage people to take their rubbish with them.
Recycling – Mr McD queried when the trial recycling programme was going to be completed. Cllr McC stated there are legal complications with the contract.
Phone Mast – AG informed the meeting that this was no longer going to happen.

Mr Paterson thanked everyone for coming ‐ The meeting closed at 8.45pm.

The next meeting of Kirkcowan Community Council will be held on Monday 19th March 2018 at
7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan’s Hall.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)

Completed Application Forms for Funding from
Kirkcowan Community Development Trust

The following applications were submitted to Kirkcowan Community Council for approval at their
meeting on 19th February 2018
1. Kirkcowan Angling Club – 3 year application this is a request for 3rd year of funding.
27 adult members and 8 junior members. Application request of £3,040 ‐ Approved by
Kirkcowan Community Council.
2. Kirkcowan Art Club – Application for hall fees and materials. 20 adult members and 20 junior members. Application request of £1,559.17 ‐ Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.
3. Kirkcowan Hall Committee – Application for notice boards. Application request £918.30 ‐
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.
4. Yoga Club – Application for hall fees. Application Request £363.00 ‐ Approved by
Kirkcowan Community Council.
5. Pilates – Application for hall fees. Application Request £132.00 ‐ Approved by Kirkcowan
Community Council.

Once approved by Kirkcowan Community Council the applications then go to the Directors of
Kirkcowan Community Development Trust for approval.
Next Directors meeting TBC
The meeting closed at 9pm.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary