Community Council – 19th June 2017

DRAFT MINUTES of meeting Kirkcowan Community Council held on Monday 19th June 2017
at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan‘s Hall

Minutes for 19th June 2017

Present: Mr J Paterson, Cllr J McColm, Cllr Nicol, Mrs J Mortiboy, Mrs A Dabner, William Dodds
Police Scotland, Mrs W Wood, Mr K Tinker Mr R Drysdale, Mr D Conduit, Mr M Gumersell, Mrs J
Sommerville, Mr G Mortiboy, Ms S Gray, Mr A Gladstone, W Hogan, B Hogan, M Bourne, P Wright, L Upton

1. Mr Paterson welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2. APOLOGIES: Cllr D Ingles, Mr D McKenzie, Mr J Adair, Mrs W Baird, Miss C Wilson, Mr D Harper, Mr P McAllister
3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Amendment no vandalism at Kirkland House.
Accepted as a true and correct record. Proposed ‐ Mr R Drysdale Seconded – Mr M Gumersell
4. POLICE MATTERS: William Dodds present. Data report from traffic monitoring from John
Howell. Line of enquiry in relation to thefts at Brig of Dee, Twynholm and Kirkcowan still
ongoing. Spittal Bridge foliage overgrown loss of sight line, council contacted and foliage cut
back. Proposed drop in centre at location in village/mobile unit to engage with the community,
more information to report at next meeting. Alarm at Doctors going off ‐ maintenance issue.
5. TREASURERS REPORT: Account No 1 ‐ £ 357.37 Account No 2 £ 14,274.16
6. CORRESPONDANCE:
• Planning ‐ Telefonica Ltd ‐ proposed base Station to provide 3G/4G coverage
www.gallowaynationalpark.org website up and running. Appreciate feedback.
• Town twining ‐ Sournia France. Request from the Mayor Yvon Crambes. Schools in contact.
• 20mph Members Bill Consultation‐ Invitation to participate – all in favour.
• Developing a Community Food growing Strategy for D&G‐ 22nd June 9.30am ‐ 1pm followed
by lunch. Threave Gardens
• Polbae Community ‐ community Grants – Discussion in ACOB
• Thank you letter from Kirkcowan Parish Chuch.
• Southern Stewartry Landscape Threat‐ Knockendurrick Wind farm proposal.
• Planning windfarm Annabaglish – 14 turbines recommended for refusal
7. ACOB
Polbae – Initially attended Cree Valley CC told to speak to KCC as Polbae is in Kirkcowan Parish.
Email from Bill Hogan (Polbae Community) requesting help to apply for a grant for a water survey ‐ no drinking water in Polbae and what is there is getting more contaminated. JP suggested contacting SEPA initially ‐ BH is going to call in to their office in Minigaff.

Road is also a concern inadequate passing spaces – Cllr McC stated as its peat moss you would have to dig 4 to 5m down before hitting a solid base then infill and build up roadside. JP gave BH an application form and rules ‐ explaining that grants cannot be allocate to an individual.

Village Hall Report – Had a meeting regarding community garden now have a plan. Email
address hall@kirkcowan.com.

Keep fit and Pilates started last week. 13 people interested in Badminton.

£182 made at Beetle Drive.

School fete Saturday 24th June 12 noon till 2pm all welcome.

Now have mugs and shopping bags for sale. Organising a show in September KCC
asked to sponsor – All agreed ‐ JP to get a trophy.

Aries Windfarm Site Visit – Wednesday 21st June 17 – 9.40am outside the church. 7 wishing to go MG and JP to take their cars.
Page 2
Adopt a Kiosk – WB contacted DGC on 29th May told to contact BT still awaiting response. Phone has been cut off. Need to get Defibrillator and light organised.
Weeds – KT commented on how bad the weeds were around the hall. JP has spoken to DGC
pavements will be sprayed if not this week definitely next week.
Redecoration of Hall – KT asked if the outside of the hall would be decorated – JP stated DGC have no money to decorate hall.
Newton Stewart Day Centre – Asked if would like meal provided in July – Suggested wait until
September.
Generator – Note put in kitchen what equipment/lights will operate when generator running.
Friends of Kirkcowan have requested loan of Generator and Barbecue for School Fete ‐ Approved.
Park ‐ Community Services been and strimmed grass to park edge. One worker got covered in
dog mess. There was a loose dog sighted running around the park.
Turbine Trophy – Sunday 30th July 17 at Glenluce. Coach will be arranged.
Street Light – Light outside Church has been off for 3 weeks. JP to contact DGC.

Mr Paterson thanked everyone for coming ‐ The meeting closed at 9pm.

The next meeting of Kirkcowan Community Council will be held on Monday 18th September 2017 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan’s Hall.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)

Completed Application Forms for Funding from Kirkcowan Community Development Trust

The following applications were submitted to Kirkcowan Community Council for approval at their
meeting on 19th June 2017 :‐
1. Kirkcowan Village Hall Committee – Application for printing and best in show trophy
for their Show in September ‐ £263.37 ‐ Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.
Also discussed application from Kirkcowan Village Hall Committee, for upgrading facilities in Hall
kitchen (plumbed in water heater, cafetiere’s, plates, cutlery etc). Agreed in principle SG taken
application form away to add on more plates and cutlery and will submit to Jak Kane for Directors approval.
Once approved by Kirkcowan Community Council the applications then go to the Directors of
Kirkcowan Community Development Trust for approval.

Next meeting of Directors in July 2017.
SG asked if there is something that the whole community could benefit from – JP stated the
concert that is being organised is for everyone to attend, it will be free but drinks would need to
be paid for. JM asked if drinks could be free too.
So far the KCDT has paid out £99,505.91 – Agreed that a list of all successful applications to be put up in Hall and PO.

Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)