Community Council – Monday 20th February 2017

DRAFT MINUTES of meeting Kirkcowan Community Council held on Monday 20th February 2017 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan‘s Hall

Present: Mr J Paterson, Mr J Adair, Mrs W Baird, Cllr J McColm, Cllr A Geddes and Cllr Nicol
Mrs J Mortiboy, Mrs A Dabner, W. Dodds (Police), Mrs W Wood, Mr R Drysdale, Miss C Wilson, Mr D Harper, Mr D Conduit, Mr M Gumersell, Mrs J Sommerville, Mrs H McWhirter, Mr G Mortiboy, Ms S Gray and Mr P McAllister.

1. Mr Paterson welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2. APOLOGIES: Mr K Tinker, Mr D McKenzie, Mr A Gladstone.
3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Accepted as a true and correct record.
Proposed ‐ Mr R Drysdale Seconded – Mr P McAllister

4. POLICE MATTERS: W Dodds present. 1/1/17 3 premises in Kirkcowan broken into – Police feel this is also related to thefts in Brig of Dee and Twynholm ‐ Stranraer CID dealing with this.

During the 20 minute power cut in Kirkcowan on 19/2/17 a theft in Meadow Park was reported. Police will give prevention advice eg locking windows and doors. Ensure vulnerable people lock up their properties especially in the evening. Handy Van giving out free 2 hour advice to homeowners and tenants – can be contacted via police or social workers.

Theft from farms on increase in Ayrshire, there is a dip in Dumfries and Galloway still need to remain vigilant, keep quad bikes and fuel secure. National Drink Drive figures for the region up on 2015/16 figures.

Telephone and email scams continue to be a problem – True call and BT Guardian can prevent some of these calls.

Recently attended a dementia awareness course also visited Ashgrove Court. Also attending a 4 week course on sign language. Mobile phone campaign penalties will increase to £200 fine and 6 penalty points for 1 offence. C22W Dirnow Road Closure 13th – 17th March diversion in place.

5. TREASURERS REPORT: Balance £ 574.82.
Other account closed and transferred over ‐ Total in account £13,180.44

6. CORRESPONDANCE:
• Consultation on the future of the Scottish Planning System – 3 links
https:// www.communitycouncils.scot/consultation‐on‐the‐future‐of‐the‐scottish‐planning‐system.html
http://www.communitycouncils.scot/
https://beta.gov.scot/policies/planning‐architecture/reforming‐planning‐system/

• D&G Council Local Development Plan – Consultation Process 30/1/17 to 24/4/17
Drop in session Newton Stewart Town Hall 6/3/17 3pm – 6.30pm
• Review of the 2014‐17 Local Fire & Rescue Plan for D&G
https://firescotland.citizenspace.com/planning‐and‐performance/local‐plan‐review
• D&G Council ‐ Dog Fouling day of Action ‐13‐17th Feb Lochar Ward Dumfries
(a ward a month to be targeted)
• Tree Charter Survey from the NALC – survey emailed to all Community Councillors
• Wigtown Area Committee – 28/2/17 Douglas Ewart High School Assembly Hall 7pm main
topic of discussion A75 and A77 Trunk Roads.

7. ACOB
Council Tax – No decision has been reach yet as to increase or not.

Resiliance Team – Mr J Paterson concerned regarding procedure now Wendy Jesson is no longer in post. Contacted Graeme McKie during power cut, he was on holiday – call not forwarded to anyone else. Need to get process sorted out ASAP. Action – Mr J Paterson arrange meeting with Graeme McKie

Federation Meeting – Mr M Gumersell attended meeting on 11/1/17. Galloway Area Commander and Community Inspector present – main topic of discussion was community policing. Whithorn Police Station also discussed and that if Police decide to sell property the Ambulance Service will have no where to go.

Machars Action – Mr J Paterson attended meeting and reported back to Mr M Gumersell.

Speed Sign – Mr J Paterson informed the meeting that the Paper reported that Newton Stewart
Road in Kirkcowan was going to be getting a speed sign. Councillors confirmed this would be
from the next financial year budget – April 2017.

Defibrillator – Mr J Paterson stated need to decide which is best for Kirkcowan – ACTION Decide by Spring 2017.

Fish and Chip Van ‐ Mr R Drysdale queried where the fish and chip van was going to be parked on a Wednesday night – Mr J Paterson confirmed it was agreed with Kirkcowan Garage Owner that he could park in his car parking area. Mr R Drysdale stated this is not an ideal place especially when cars are parked in the road and the bus comes round the corner.

Broadband – Mr P McAllister asked when will Kirkcowan get high speed broadband? Councillor
Geddis suggested contacting James Pocock and copy Colin Smith MSP in. ACTION Mrs W Baird to email James Pocock.

Village Hall Report – When village hall taken over will grass and car park be part of take over too.
Ms S Gray can not remember. ACTION Ms S Gray report back on this point at next meeting.
Mrs W Wood reported the following – Constitution discussed and adopted. Charity options put
on hold. Bingo night organised date to be confirmed. Notice Board in Post Office for all groups to advertise. Yoga and Knitting groups on Post Office notice board. Next Hall Meeting 21/2/17 for Committee Members only.

Planters – Plants in the Wigtown Road planter are dead – Mr J Paterson informed the meeting
that the gardener is trying different plants in different locations in the village.

Litter Pick – ACTION Date to be agreed at next meeting.

Generator – Mr D Harper to run generator in February.

B733 Road to Wigtown Near Boreland Fell – Mr R Drysdale questioned why after the road works at this section of road the council brought the road line out with earth. Its dangerous pushes vehicles into centre of road and when tractors/lorries drive through it leaves mud over road.
ACTION Mrs W Baird to contact DGC Roads Department.

Kilgallioch Wind Farm – Mr J Paterson suggested a special meeting is arranged, inviting Cara
Gillespie from Foundation Scotland. ACTION Mrs W Baird to contact Cara Gillespie and inform
Members of date and time of meeting.

Mr Paterson thanked everyone for coming ‐ The meeting closed at 9.25pm.
The next meeting of Kirkcowan Community Council will be held on Monday 20th March 2017 at
7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan’s Hall.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)
Completed Application Forms for Funding from Kirkcowan Community Development Trust

The following applications were submitted to Kirkcowan Community Council for approval at their
meeting on 20th February 2017 :‐
1. Art Club – Application for Lockable Steel Cabinet ‐ £345.00
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.
2. Yoga Group – Application for hall fees ‐ £520.20
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.
Mr J Paterson reported that the Gardener who looks after the village planters and Fishing Club will be granted their second year of money as per their original application.

WRI have requested an application form.

Once approved by Kirkcowan Community Council the applications then go to the Directors of
Kirkcowan Community Development Trust for approval.
Next meeting of Directors Tuesday 21st February 2017.