Kirkcowan – What's Going On?

Community Council – 15th April 2019

Draft Minutes ‐ Kirkcowan Community Council held on Monday 15th April 2019 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan‘s Hall (Amended 10/4/19)

Present: Mr J Paterson, Mrs W Baird, Mrs J Mortiboy, Ms S Gray, Miss C Wilson, Mrs W Wood, Mr M Gumersell, Mr C McEwan, Mr D Harper, Mr A Gladstone, Mrs J Sommerville, Mr D Mc Bain, Mr D McKenzie, Mr G Mortiboy, Mr J Wright, Mr K Dean, Mrs I McLachlan, Mrs J Markwell.

Mr Paterson welcomed everyone to the meeting.

APOLOGIES: Mrs A Dabner, Mr J Adair, Mr K Tinker

MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Accepted as a true and correct record ‐ Proposed Mr D Harper
Mr Seconded – Mr M Gumersell

POLICE MATTERS: No police present.

TREASURERS REPORT: Account No 1 ‐ £ 175.70 Account No 2 ‐ £ 31,614.70


Community Council Gathering 7/5/19 – 6pm – 8pm Wigtown. Would like representatives from each CC to attend – need to let DGC know.

Third Sector Dumfries and Galloway Wigtownshire April Roadshow 18/4/19 – Drop in format between 1pm – 4pm, Newton Stewart Initiative (Hut behind Penningham Church)

RSK – public consultation on 1/5/19 2pm – 6.30pm – Extension to Barhill substation.

Barr Trails Day – 19/5/19 reconnect with communities ‐ Free transport let WB or Shop know you wish to go to book seat on bus – See poster in shop for details.

Email from Nick Walker requesting KCC support them to save LNR (Local Nature Reserve). DGC are cutting finances and links with LNR. All agreed – ACTION WB to write letter of support.

DGC holding waste and recycling event at Douglas Ewart High School 7/5/19 7pm.

KCC received an anonymous letter informing them about a horse being walked through park.
ACTION WB to speak to person concerned.


Grass cutting to edge of park – Roy Lewis (DGC) sent letter to JP asking if KCC still wish to continue this service. Grass will be cut to park edge 4 times a year at a cost of £30. All agreed.

Machars Action – Nothing to report – Next meeting 29/4/19.

Federation Report – Ian Dick, former Councillor, at meeting to gain support of Federation for duelling A75. Peter Nizod, Australian Tourism Consultant, at meeting to build Galloway Tourism. Looking for
support from CC’s and funding for 5 years, 3 staff and marketing. All agreed he attends a meeting to talk to us about it. ACTION AG email details to WB.

Footpath from Hamilton Crescent to Doctors Surgery – DMcK was asked if a footpath could be provided. AG to think about possibility

Dog Fouling in Graveyard – MG stated two signs on graveyard gate but is there a bin? Bin for disposal of dog mess is inside graveyard.

Speed Humps – Joe Wright requested an investigation to have speed humps in Newton Stewart Road.
He reported that a bus was doing 46mph into village. DGC have no funds for this. Mg stated Michale McDonald of Police Scotland would visit and advise. ACTION WB to send letter to bus company, in first instance.

Park – JP reported DGC have money to upgrade/improve park – Agreed to invite Karen Brownlea to meeting to discuss? ACTION WB

Youth Group – Joe Wright interested in starting Youth Group up again. JP suggested he get at least four more people to help as need a committee, plus PVG and insurance.

Defib/1st Aid Course – Poster in shop and surgery only 10 people on list at moment.

Generator and BBQ – CW requested use on 18/5/19. DMcB requested use of BBQ on 21/4/19.

Litter Pick – JP thanked all that took part. Spittal Bridge to Kirkcowan 23 bags of litter.

Merchant Navy Day – All agreed put British flag up in 3/9/19.

John Patterson – Chair – informed the meeting at the AGM he will be stepping down.
Wendy Baird – Secretary ‐ informed the meeting at the AGM she will be stepping down.
Dave Harper – Community Councillor ‐ informed the meeting at the AGM he will be stepping down.

MG thanked Wendy Baird for a fantastic job, and John Paterson for his hard work over the many years as Chair, thank you to Dave Harper too

Mr Paterson thanked everyone for coming ‐ The meeting closed at 8.35pm.
The next meeting of Kirkcowan Community Council – AGM‐ will be held on Monday 20th May 2019 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan’s Hall.

Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)

Completed Application Forms for Funding from Kirkcowan Community Development Trust

The following applications were submitted to Kirkcowan Community Council for approval at their meeting on 15th April 2019

Kirkcowan Yoga and Pilates – Application for Hall fees for 3 months. Application Request £528.
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council. Request approval for rolling application from Development Trust.

Kirkcowan Bowling Club – Application for fertilizer sprayer. Application Request £780.
Went to the vote ‐ 1 member abstained, 2 against and 8 for. Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.

Friends of Kirkcowan – Application for refreshments, table and chair hire plus Galloway Activity Centre to attend Summer Fete. Application Request £927.50 ‐ Approved by Kirkcowan Community

Kirkcowan Autumn Social Club – Application for heated towel rail, tubular heated rail and new consumer unit. Only two quotes provided, lowest quote £592.51. Need 3 quotes.
ACTION JW to give JP contact details of Electrician Tommy McCulloch to get third quote. Quote of £592.51 approved pending 3rd quote.

Kirkcowan Planters – 3 Quotes obtained :‐
i) Mr J Kevin ‐ £2500
ii) Mr Markwell ‐ £3784
iii) Mr T Donnelly ‐ £3618.16
JM proposed Jim Keven, Seconded by DH – All agreed. Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.

Once approved by Kirkcowan Community Council the applications then go to the Directors of Kirkcowan Community Development Trust at their next meeting for approval.

The meeting closed at 9.20pm.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)