Kirkcowan – What's Going On?

Community Council – 16th September 2019

Draft Minutes ‐ Kirkcowan Community Council held on Monday 16th September 2019 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan‘s Hall

Present: Mr J Paterson, Mrs J Mortiboy, Mrs A Dabner, Ms S Gray, Miss C Wilson, Mr J Adair, Mrs R Drysdale, Mr A Gladstone, Mrs J Sommerville, Mrs W Wood, Cllr D Inglis, Cllr G Nichol, Mr D Coggan, Mrs C Coggan, Mr D McBain, Mrs D McBain, Mr J Hall, Mrs O Hall, Mr G Mortiboy, Mr J Wright (Snr), Mr K Dean, Ms D McBain, Mr M Murdock, Mr C Richardson, Mrs H McWhirter, Mrs M Murdock, Mrs L Parker, K Martin (Police), Mrs M Harkness, Mr J Wright (Jnr) Ms M Mackenzie

  1. Mr Paterson welcomed everyone to the meeting.
  2. APOLOGIES: Mr M Gumersell, Mr D Harper, Mrs W Baird, Mr D McKenzie and Mr K Tinker
  3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Cllr Ingles pointed out that last minutes stated ‐ Once elected remain a Community Councillor for 3 years – This is incorrect you can remain a Community Councillor for 4 years, however by 2022 this will be made 5 years. Minutes of last meeting accepted as a true and correct record ‐ Proposed Mrs A Dabner Seconded Mr R Drysdale.
  4. POLICE MATTERS: Community Officer Constable Krystle Martin stated the police had received a call regarding scamming from a company stating for a one off payment they will stop all nuisance calls. Out with the village reports of theft from vehicle across the region. Theft of copper from granite works.
    See anything suspicious call 101. Proposing to hold a community police surgery 13th November 19 3.15pm till 4pm at the village hall – will advertise locally with posters and on social media 2 weeks before
  5. TREASURERS REPORT: Balances Account No 1 ‐ £ 116.30 Account No 2 ‐ £ 14,743.24
  6. CORRESPONDANCE None received.

AOCB:
3rd Sector D & G – Christine Clarke here to talk about grants, 21st November 19, 1.30pm till 4pm.

Benches – JP tried to contact Mr and Mrs Rudd regarding the funding they were raising for the bench, told they are on holiday. Mr and Mrs D McBain informed the meeting that Mr and Mrs Rudd had raised enough money.

New access off Newton Stewart Road – JP queried if anyone knew what was happening where a new road junction had been constructed off the Newton Stewart Road just after bridge, he had contacted the Council but no planning officer present – Planning Officer only present Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday between 10am – 1pm. Mr and Mrs McBain informed the meeting that they had a couple staying the their pub who had purchased the land and got planning permission to put glamping pods on the land.
JP stated the Community Council normally get a notification of all planning applications, they haven’t received one for these pods.
ACTION JP to contact Billy Murray DGC.

Speeding – J Wright (Jnr) mentioned again about the speeding in the village. JP stated it’s a police issue and should have been raised prior to Community Officer Constable Krystle Martin leaving.

Football Pitch
– Mr G Mortiboy informed the meeting that Galloway Thistle Youth Football Club are interested in possibly using the football pitch for playing matches on and wondered how the Community Council felt about this –
JP stated there is no water or electricity at the pavilion, it has also been boarded up. Mr R Drysdale is grazing his sheep on the land at the moment. Bring it up at the next meeting when the new Community Council for discussion.

Windfarm – Mr and Mrs Hall informed the meeting that their property is surrounded by windmills and feel they should receive some sort of compensation as Kirkcowan are getting funding because of the windmills, yet they are living right next to them and have received nothing. When the searches were carried out there was no mention of windmills being installed.
JP informed Mr and Mrs Hall that the money is not for compensation purposes it is for the community and groups or charities can apply. An
individual cannot apply for grants – it is really something that needs to be discussed with the Solicitor who was used when the property was purchased.

Thank you – Mr John Paterson and Mrs W Baird will be stepping down as Community Councillors.

Ms S Gray presented JP a picture for his commitment over the last 30 years as Chair of Kirkcowan Community Council ‐ JP thanked everyone.
Mrs W Baird who was not present at the meeting will be given some flowers for her work as Secretary.

Community Council – DGC have received 14 applications for Community Councillors.
The community Council is made up of 11 Councillors therefore there will be a vote on Thursday 3rd October 4pm – 8pm.
Poster will be in shop window.

Mr Paterson thanked everyone for coming ‐ The meeting closed at 8.25pm.

The next meeting of Kirkcowan Community Council will be held on Monday 21st October 2019 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan’s Hall.

Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)

Completed Application Forms for Funding from Kirkcowan Community Development Trust


The following application was submitted to Kirkcowan Community Council for approval at their meeting on 18th September 2019

Kirkcowan Primary School – Application to further opportunities for pupils to develop their STEM
(STEM ‐ Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) curriculum. The School said that these items are considered ‘nice to have’ rather than essential items and as such would not be funded by the local
authority. The Trustees were generally in favour and agreed the grant in principle. However, as the Trust is not allowed to substitute for or replace Council funding the grant award would be contingent on the provision of confirmation from the Council that they would not fund the acquisition of the items included in the application. Application request for £8,606.33.

Approved in principle by Kirkcowan Community Council, subject to some additional information.

Kirkcowan Hall Committee – Application for cleaning and maintenance. Application request £1,144.00.
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.

Kirkcowan Knitting Group – Application for Hall fees – Application request £192.00.
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.

Kirkcowan SWI – Application for Hall fees and expenses – Application request £184.00.
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.

Kirkcowan Carpet Bowing Club – Application for Hall fees – Application request £396.00.
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.

Kirkcowan Pilates Group – Application for Hall fees and expenses – Application request £132.00.
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.

Once approved by Kirkcowan Community Council the applications then go to the Directors of Kirkcowan Community Development Trust for approval.

Next Directors meeting 18th September 2019

The meeting closed at 8.45pm

Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)