Minutes of meeting Kirkcowan Community Council held on Monday 20th June 2016 at 7.30pm
in the Lesser St Couan‘s Hall.
Present: Mr J Paterson, Mr J Adair, Mrs W Baird, Cllr J McColm, Mr G McKie,
Mrs J Mortiboy, Miss C Wilson, Mr D Harper, Mrs R Rudd, Mrs M Cripps, Mr K Service,
Mr D Conduit, Mr M Gumersell, Mr M Godfrey, Mr G Mortiboy, Mrs H McWhirter,
Ms S Gray, Mrs W Wood, Mr K Tinker, Mrs P Keevers, Mr R Drysdale, PC A Osborne V311 and PC D McDowell V347.
1. Mr Paterson welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2. APOLOGIES: Cllr G Nicol, Cllr A Geddes Mr D McKenzie, Mr P McAllister and Mrs J Sommerville,
3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Accepted as a true and correct record. Proposed ‐ Mr M
Gumersell. Seconded – Mrs W Baird.
Minutes of AGM accepted as a trus and correct record ‐ Proposed Mr M Gumersell. Seconded
Mr G McKie.
4. POLICE MATTERS: Complaints received about a couple from Kirkcowan causing a disturbance by shouting and being aggressive towards each other. Trailer with speed camera been sighted in layby in Newton Stewart Road, speeds recorded on computer JP awaiting results. Mr Martin Gumersell requested to meet the new Inspector.
5. UPDATE/DISCUSSION HALL: Hall to be re‐wired. Possibly use school hall whilst this work
being carried out. Karen Brownlie gave out current users of hall and still needs to clarify with
Solicitors Title Deeds to hall and in depth information regarding budgets. KB has also requested a condition survey of the building is carried out date of this yet to be confirmed.
6. TREASURERS REPORT: Balance £ 629.10
7. CORRESPONDANCE: Allan Hall editor of Free Press has requested minutes of meetings are
emailed to him. To start from September 2016.
Federation Report – Mr M Gumersell attended meeting Friday 3rd June 16. Election of officers.
Flood insurance and broadband discussed. MG took letter regarding the charges by schools for
music lessons – he has contact details (tel no’s and email address) to investigate further
NHS – Meeting to discuss the merger of Wigtown Surgery with the Merrick Practice to be held on Monday 11th July 2016 at County Building 7.30pm. Should not have any effect on surgery in
Kirkcowan, but Wigtown will surgery will be reduced to mornings only with afternoon surgery in
Grass Cutting – Grass not cut up to dyke. JP phoned Stranraer cutting grass on Saturday. Seat at bottom of Church Street has a lot of nettles by it DGC responsible for this. Needs more
coordination from Council to send workforce out at same time. WB to send email.
Turbine Trophy – JP to get price for Coach from Kirkcowan to New Luce.
Park – Seesaw being replaced end of July 2016.
Garden – Property opposite surgery garden is very overgrown ‐ WB to email DGHP.
Quarrying Stone – Boreland stone being quarried and removed with permission. Only the estate is allowed to take stone. Scottish National Heritage called to site and work has stopped.
Work to roundabouts A75 ‐ From Dumfries to Newton Stewart work on roundabouts is to allow
lorries carrying turbines to negotiate them more safely.
Mr Paterson thanked everyone for coming ‐ The meeting closed at 8.50pm.
The next meeting of Kirkcowan Community Council will be held on Monday 19th September 2016 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan’s Hall.
Completed Application Forms for Funding from
Kirkcowan Community Development Trust
The following applications were submitted to Kirkcowan Community Council for approval at their
meeting on 20th June 2016 :‐
1. Repairs/replacement of church bell supports – Application request is for £2,320
Approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.
2. Kirkcowan WI ‐ Application for hall fees ‐ £89.60 – Approved by Kirkcowan Community
3. Scottish National Sheepdogs – Application for advertising £ 4,500 – Money committed to
Kirkcowan projects. Not approved by Kirkcowan Community Council.
4. Kirkcowan Bowling Club – Application for new roof ‐ £ 12,868.20 ‐ Approved by Kirkcowan
5. Newton Stewart Traditional Music Festival – 3 day celebration application for hiring of PA
equipment ‐ £1,734 ‐ – Money committed to Kirkcowan projects. Not approved by
Kirkcowan Community Council.
6. Kirkcowan Youth Group – Application for hiring of main hall and supper room plus
equipment for 6 – 11 year olds and 12 ‐16 year olds ‐ £ 3000 over 2 years. Approved by
Kirkcowan Community Council.
Once approved by Kirkcowan Community Council the application then goes to the Directors of
Kirkcowan Community Development Trust for approval.
Next meeting of Directors Tuesday 19th April 2016.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes secretary)