Kirkcowan – What's Going On?

Community Council – September 18th 2017

DRAFT MINUTES of meeting Kirkcowan Community Council held on Monday 18th September 2017 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan‘s Hall

18th September 2017

Present: Mr J Paterson, Cllr J McColm, Cllr Nicol, Cllr Hagmann, Cllr Inglis, Mrs W Baird, Mrs J
Mortiboy, Mrs A Dabner, William Dodds Police Scotland, Mrs W Wood, Mr K Tinker, Mr D Conduit, Mr M Gumersell, Mr D Harper, Mr G Mortiboy, Ms S Gray, Mr A Gladstone, Mr P Bannister, Mr P Norman, Mrs K Andrews, Mrs L Parker.

1. Mr Paterson welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2. APOLOGIES: Mr D McKenzie, Mr J Adair, Mr R Drysdale , Miss C Wilson, Mrs J Sommerville, Mr P McAllister

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Accepted as a true and correct record. Proposed – Mr M
Gumersell Seconded – Mr K Tinker.

4. POLICE MATTERS: William Dodds present.
Figures from traffic monitoring :-
1442 cars recorded 25 -30mph.
474 cars recorded 35 – 40mph.
144 cars recorded 40 – 45mph
45 cars recorded 45 – 50mph
10 cars recorded 50 – 55mph.

Based on the evidence Cllr McColm stated KCC should formally request a permanent traffic
monitoring speed signs is installed in Newton Stewart Road. Cllr Hagmann suggested put request to CCPS, it would be recorded and responded upon. ACTION WB.

Other police issues – Taxi fraud in July, lorry driver 5 times over legal limit, neighbour dispute, theft of a purse and dogs not under control. Proposed drop in centre at location in village/mobile unit to engage with the community will start in October for 1 day a month. MG had a member of the village call at his home to report the 5 dogs at Ballgreen Farm not being under control. One instance a young girl was bitten. Police have been informed, still ongoing, no further reports to date. A fence has been put up which will hopefully act as a deterrent.

5. TREASURERS REPORT: Account No 1 – £ 285.57 Account No 2 £ 12,715.25

6. PRESENTATION by Peter Norman “PLACE (people, land, art, culture, environment) in the
Biosphere” – Potential project over next 2 years funded by Heritage Lottery Fund. Into second
stage of application process, require support from local people. If successful there would be
employment/internship/placement opportunities. KCC agreed to send brief email/letter of
support – ACTION WB. Kirkcowan School also support and will send email/letter – ACTION KA


  • Third Sector Voice in Community Planning workshop Stranraer 22/9/17.
  • Consultation launched on Building Scotland’s Low Emission Zones
  • Tackling Poverty in D&G Conference 16th October 10am – 4pm Easterbrook Hall
  • Town twining – Sournia France – PB gave a talk about Sournia.
  • CHB – Community Defibrillator – Kiosk finally adopted from BT. Approx £2000 to buy
    defibrillator, heated cabinet etc. Options are own, lease or manage. Majority felt
    manage would be better option. JM to speak to Isle of Whithorn CC about their
    defibrillator. And report back. ACTION JM

Car Parking – Bowling Green – Cars park along main road, along with residents who park there
too. LP suggested a footpath. Martin Marsh approached regarding a strip of land from the glebe,approx 2.5m wide along the roadside could be used to widen road and allow a footpath to be constructed. DGC have no plans to do this. Windfarm money cannot be used. May look at
Council and Community Partnership. Cllr Hagmann suggested any incidents involving
car/pedestrian should be reported to the Police then there will be a record of how dangerous this corner/road is. Contact Michael McDonald (DGC Roads) to discuss. ACTION WB

Director of Wider Fund – J Adair has resigned.
D Harper nominated M Gumersell – Seconded K Tinker.
Federation Report – NTR
Machars Action – MG attended NTR in relation to Kirkcowan.
Village Hall Report – Now a charity. Toilets open from 9am – after 5pm. Coffee machine and
water boiler great asset and used by hall users. Hall users requested to leave hall as you find it,
cleaned by volunteers now. Jumble Sale and Silent Auction went well.

First open show was very successful and will become a yearly event – Etta Adams and Hazel Johnston shared the trophy sponsored by KCC.

Next event is McMillan coffee morning – need donations for tombola and baking. Organising a Christmas fare possibly mid November.

Church are dismantling their community garden and donating sleepers to the hall garden. KCC will be charge hall fees for meetings – WB to submit application form for hall fees. ACTION WB

Recycling – This will go ahead region wide in November. Cllrs not sure which version.
Turbine Trophy – Kirkcowan came third again. Next Turbine Trophy contest to be held at

Mr Paterson thanked everyone for coming – The meeting closed at 9.30pm.

The next meeting of Kirkcowan Community Council will be held on Monday 16th October 2017 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan’s Hall.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes Secretary)

Completed Application Forms

for Funding from Kirkcowan Community Development Trust

The following applications were submitted to Kirkcowan Community Council for approval at their
meeting on 18th September 2017 :-
1. Kirkcowan Carpet Bowling Club – Application for hall fees – £396 – Approved by
Kirkcowan Community Council.

Also discussed application from Kirkcowan Village Hall Committee for 4 clubs – Applied for hall
fees all together Jak Kane did not approve. Clubs have started back so suggested apply for sports grant from KCC – All agreed. SG to speak to JK at Machars Action. ACTION SG.

Once approved by Kirkcowan Community Council the applications then go to the Directors of
Kirkcowan Community Development Trust for approval.
No Directors meeting this week Jak Kane away.