Our Council is committed to supporting families throughout the year but in particular during COIVID-19.
As part of this support we have delivered over 70,000 Free School Meals to 1700 households but we are now extending the options available of providing Free School Meals with a direct cash payment option.
The cash payment is £35 every 2 weeks, per child and allows families the flexibility to make their own arrangements to meet the needs of their child supporting families to make the best choice for their child. The payment of £35 is one of the highest amounts any Council in the UK is making to support families during COVID-19.
Families now have 3 ways they can receive Free School Meals
- Option 1: Receive a cash payment of £35 every 2 weeks (£17.50 per week) per child and make your own food arrangements
- Option 2: Delivery of a Free School Meals food pack direct to your house
- Option 3: Collection of a Free School Meals food pack from a Community Hub
If you choose Option 2 or 3 (delivery or collection of food pack), this is the exact same way you currently receive the Free School Meals so you do not have to do anything.
Only those who meet the entitlement criteria will be eligible for this support
- Income Support
- Job Seeker’s Allowance (Income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income based)
- Child Tax Credit on its own, with an annual taxable income of less than £16,105 (subject to change)
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with an annual taxable income of less than £6,900 (subject to change)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit with a monthly earned income of not more than £610
- Council Tax Reduction
Option 1 (cash payment)
You must register to receive the payment.
You need to register by 10.00pm on a Tuesday for a direct payment on a Friday. This is a rolling programme until schools return or the end of term.
You will continue to receive your food delivery, or to be able to make a collection until your first payment on a Friday then this will stop as you will receive the cash payment. Payments will then be made once every two weeks on a Friday until either schools return or the end of term.
If you have any questions regarding your payment, please contact EducationSupport@dumgal.gov.uk and leave a message. We will respond as soon as we can.
Option 2 (delivery) and Option 3 (collection) of food packages
If you do not opt for a cash payment, the current options of picking up a food pack from one of our hubs or having your food pack delivered directly to your home will continue.
Families must confirm that they want to be included in this scheme if they aren’t already by completing an online form or or speaking to a member of the team on 01387 271112.
This service will be provided every Tuesday and Friday and you can choose to have it delivered to your door or you can collect it from a central pick up point. Families will only receive this service if they complete the form (either online or over the phone) and this includes those families currently receiving a food pack delivery.
When the completed form has been received and processed delivery of the food pack will commence on the next delivery day.
Contact CV19schoolmeals@dumgal.gov.uk or call 01387 271112 if you have any questions about the food packages. USEFUL PAGES