Show your support for the campaign for Next Generation Broadband in the South of Scotland!
The South of Scotland Broadband Programme is a strategic partnership between Scottish Borders Council, NHS Borders, Dumfries & Galloway Council, Scottish Enterprise & NHS Dumfries & Galloway;
- In September 2011, the South of Scotland Broadband Programme submitted a Local Broadband Plan to the Scottish Government which was adopted. This plan was used as a base to write the National Infrastructure Plan for Scotland which was launched in March 2012;
- In August 2012, it was agreed that the Scottish Government’s Step Change 2015 Programme (which would deliver the Next Generation Infrastructure to the Rest of Scotland) would aim to fund the rollout of infrastructure that would provide a coverage of approx 75% per Local Authority Area;
- The South of Scotland Project Team worked with Dumfries & Galloway Council and Scottish Borders Council and have now achieved funding of approximately £21 million to increase the coverage levels to 85%. It is expected that the chosen supplier to install the infrastructure for these improvements will begin works in the Autumn of 2013 with completion of the work during late 2015 / early 2016;
- The South of Scotland Project Team will work with the final 15% of communities in partnership with Communities Broadband Scotland (CBS), to help identify alternative funding solutions to deliver Infrastructure in parallel to the National rollout;
- It is not known yet which communities will lie in the final 15%.
Quick & Easy Registration:
At the moment as a Community Council / Community Group , the most important thing we can do is to get as many people as possibly within the community to register at:- https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SOSBroadbandRegistration
This is the method being used by the SoS Broadband Team to identify High Demand. It will also help inform the contractor where high demand exists, which could influence which communities are first in the roll-out programme.
If you use broadband for personal and business purposes then register separately for both as this will also help to build up a clearer picture of each specific requirement.
Community Groups can also register separately as can the Public Sector.
It is quick and easy to register – please take 2 minutes to do it now.
Please let friends and family know about the campaign and register their support.
Registering demand does not commit you to sign up to any new service.
For more general information about the project please refer to:-