The heart of the old village, with its warmth, local interest, and friendliness, remains unaltered.
In early times, because of their rock—bound shores and jagged aspect, Auchenmalg Bay and Portyerrock served as common landing places for Galloway smugglers bearing cargoes of spirits, tobacco, silk, wine, and candles from foreign lands to lucrative markets in Ayr, Paisley, and Edinburgh
Once a year people emptied and burned the chaff in their mattresses. In Kirkcowan this was done at the New Mill Bridge.
Craichlaw was, in its medieval form, a keep, or stone tower. Its earliest known proprietors were the Hamiltons, a family supposedly descended from the Earls of Leicester and related by marriage to the Earls of Moray.
Originally a timber house built in Norway, this building was carefully dismantled there, shipped to Scotland, and reconstructed at the site near Craichlaw by the laird.
Kirkcowan was obviously named in honour of an early saint. Over the years it has been variously ascribed to the memory of St. Conan, St. Coan, St. Owen, St. Kevin, and St. Comgan (or Comghain).
JOHN McGHIE: died before 15641567 JOHN FINING: reader1627 JOSEPH CLELLAND1662 ALEXANDER ROSS, M. A. : from Dalrioch, Colmonell; deprived after a complaint to the Privy Council on 21+ February, 1663; later accused of holding conventicles and baptizing…
The 1696 Education Act called for the heritors of each parish to provide a school and a schoolmaster for the parish.
The River Bladnoch forms the eastern boundary of the Parish of Kirkcowan, dividing it from the Parish of Penninghame.
The Tarff rises in a bog in Carrick and, flowing southward as the boundary between the parishes of Kirkcowan and Glenluce