Kirkcowan was obviously named in honour of an early saint. Over the years it has been variously ascribed to the memory of St. Conan, St. Coan, St. Owen, St. Kevin, and St. Comgan (or Comghain).
JOHN McGHIE: died before 15641567 JOHN FINING: reader1627 JOSEPH CLELLAND1662 ALEXANDER ROSS, M. A. : from Dalrioch, Colmonell; deprived after a complaint to the Privy Council on 21+ February, 1663; later accused of holding conventicles and baptizing…
The 1696 Education Act called for the heritors of each parish to provide a school and a schoolmaster for the parish.
The River Bladnoch forms the eastern boundary of the Parish of Kirkcowan, dividing it from the Parish of Penninghame.
The Tarff rises in a bog in Carrick and, flowing southward as the boundary between the parishes of Kirkcowan and Glenluce
According to the Old Statistical Account, the land in the northwest of Kirkcowan parish was poor and thin with the only possible crop being black oats.
The earliest references to a Kirkcowan beekeeper are reports in the Free Press of a Mr. W.H. McDowall winning prizes at the Annual Show of the Wigtownshire Apiarists Society in 1885 and 1889
In an average year, a farm the size of Carsebuie produces about 4 tons of honey, with each hive, about 30 lbs.
The history of the Kirkcowan waulkmills is inseparable from that of the Milroy family.
This was a fairly widespread cottage industry during the period of 1750 to 1850, with the raw cotton being supplied by agents from Ayrshire who then collected and paid for the finished work.