There was a copper mine where copper ore, as Malachite or Choleopyrites was worked.
According to Ian Donnachiets book, “Industrial Archaeology of Galloway,” this is described as a “small single—storey smithy” on the bank of the Water of Malzie.
On the River Bladnoch, one mile northeast of the village, this mill may have at an early period had connection with the Glaisnick estate which pertained to the Gordons of Craichlaw.
In 1837, the following businesses and occupations within Kirkcowan parish were listed in Pigot Directory:
After the Glasgow Dumfries and Carlisle Railway had joined with the Glasgow Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway to form the Glasgow and Southwestern Railway in 1850
Gilbert Milroy was a Presbyterian from the Kircalla area of Penninghame Parish. In 1684 he had paid a bribe to a corrupt official in order to be excused from taking the required anti—covenanter oath, the Test. In 1685, troubled by…
The Covenanter Gilbert Milroy came originally from Penninghame Parish, but he settled, upon his safe return to Scotland, in Kirkcowan Parish and served until his death as an elder in the Parish Kirk.
In 1880, William Armstrong and Son of Dumfries announced in the Free Press the transfer of their business to Tarff Mills, Kirkcowan
John Crozier was a Kirkcowan tailor who lived and had his shop in a house near the lower end of the main street.