Kirkcowan – What's Going On?

Community Council – Monday 18th April 2016

Minutes of meeting Kirkcowan Community Council held on Monday 18th April 2016 at 7.30pm
in the Lesser St Couan‘s Hall.

Present: Mr J Paterson, Mr J Adair, Mrs W Baird, Cllr A Geddes, Cllr J McColm, Mr G McKie,
Mrs J Mortiboy, Miss C Wilson, Mr D Harper, Mrs R Rudd, Mrs M Cripps, Mr D McKenzie,
Mr K Service, Mr D Conduit, Mr M Gumersell, Mr M Godfrey, Mr G Mortiboy, Mrs H McWhirter,
Mrs S Gray, Mrs W Wood, Mr K Tinker, Mrs P Keevers

1. Mr Paterson welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2. APOLOGIES: Cllr G Nicol, Mr P McAllister, Mr R Drysdale, Mrs J Sommerville,
3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING: Accepted as a true and correct record. Proposed ‐ Mr M
Gumersell. Seconded – Mrs W Wood.
4. POLICE MATTERS: No police present at the meeting.

5. UPDATE/DISCUSSION HALL: Karen Brownlee informed the meeting that her role is working with community facilities region wide. There are 68 Halls, 29 of which have been sold, leased or
closed, leaving 39 to review. The options to Kirkcowan are Short term lease which is a 1 or 2 year rolling lease, with DGC carrying out all necessary inspection of fire extinguishers, PAT testing etc and insuring building for wind and watertight – disadvantage not easy to get capital investment. 25 year lease – DGC would give more responsibility of the building to Community but insure for wind and watertight, or Sell for £1 ‐ DGC no responsibility at all. A full condition survey of the building is carried out so as not to give the community a liability. There is a Hall Caretaker who may be required to be TUPE over. Cost of running the hall to the Council is in the region of £8000/yr, with an income of approx £3000/yr. At present KCC get 12 free lets per year, if Community run KCC would need to pay. A Hall Management Committee would need to be set up, constituted or become charitable organisation. Cllr Geddes reported that Whaphill has an excellent Community run hall. Karen Brownlee and her colleagues would provide essential support and advice should Kirkcowan decide to take on the hall. Nothing in budget for
external/internal repairs or upgrades of equipment. Due for a re‐wire in next couple of months.
Timescale if interested in taking on the hall 1st April 2017. Public meeting to be arranged.

6. TREASURERS REPORT: Balance £ 764.10. Donation of £50 to be sent to Rotary Club.

7. CORRESPONDANCE: nothing to report

Machars Action – Mr M Gumersell attended meeting. Email sent to Mr Ace on NHS dentist
closure, concerns appreciated however there will be an update late 2016. Mr D Hunter has
submitted a planning application for extending his dental practice incorporating next‐door
property. AGM 3rd June 2016 7.30pm at Wigtown County Buildings.
Superspeed Broadband – Records on website state March/April 2016.
Drains – Roads department need informing that there is still a problem with 2 drains opposite
Litter Pick – 35 bags of litter were collected from around Kirkcowan on the annual litter pick.
Park – Seesaw does not work ‐ Mrs W Baird to email John Brodie. Light in park at bus shelter not working correctly – Mr J Paterson reported 3 times ‐ Mrs W Baird to email John Brodie.
Bus Timetable – Bus stop in Newton Stewart Road, timetable too high to read needs repositioning.
Mrs W Baird to inform Douglas Kirkpatrick.
Signpost Newton Stewart Road – Fallen down 3 times ‐ Mrs W Baird to inform Douglas
Turbine Trophy – Need to organise a team meeting.
Flower Boxes – Mr J Paterson informed the meeting that a slab foundation was required to
support the planters. This work is not included in the original price and will require an additional
application to be submitted and approved. Mr J Paterson asked for comments. Mrs P Keevers
commented that they were too big and don’t fit in, also visible above park wall along Church
Street. Gardener advised of planter size.
Dog Fouling – Mentioned at every meeting. Mrs W Baird has contacted the Dog Wardens on
numerous occasions. Mrs W Baird to request Dog wardens to KCC meeting. Possible flyers
designed by local children and delivered to each house about the dog fouling on the route to
Approved Projects for Funding from Kirkcowan Community Development Trust –
1. P A System ‐ £1,451 – APPROVED
2. Planter and Plants – planting and labour for 1 year £6,300 – APPROVED
3. New lawnmower for Bowling Club ‐ £5,388 – APPROVED

Mr Paterson thanked everyone for coming ‐ The meeting closed at 8.50pm.
The next meeting of Kirkcowan Community Council will be and AGM held on Monday 16th April
2016 at 7.30pm in the Lesser St Couan’s Hall.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes secretary)

Completed Application Forms for Funding from Kirkcowan Community Development Trust
The following applications were submitted to Kirkcowan Community Council for approval at their
meeting on 18th April 2016:‐
1. Kirkcowan Angling Club – Formed a Management Committee, set up bank account and
have the leases drawn up ready for signing as and when approval granted. Adult
Membership £25, free membership to under 16s but must be accompanied by an adult 21
years or over. Have 17 signed up so far. Requesting an initial 3 year lease on
Craiglaw and Shennanton Rivers, plus Legal fees, Insurance and admin costs comes to a
total of £9,870. ‐ Application request is for £9,120 – APPROVED

Once approved by Kirkcowan Community Council the application then goes to the Directors of
Kirkcowan Community Development Trust for approval.

Next meeting of Directors Tuesday 19th April 2016.
Jackie Mortiboy (Minutes secretary)